Welcome to Octopia!

Sign up to stay up to date with the latest news, and to chat with other members on the forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.7.2 Bukkit Update and Map Reset

Discussion in 'News' started by Eliot, Dec 6, 2013.

?

What do you think should happen?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2013.
  1. 1. Reset the map and economy and have a fresh start on a 1.7.2 map

75.0%
  2. 2. Keep the current 1.6.4 map and economy

25.0%
  1. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

Hi everyone,

As you may or may not know, the Bukkit 1.7.2 Dev build has been out for a few days now, sufficient time in my opinion for any major bugs to be fixed, so I feel the build is in a state ready to be run on the server.
    Now we have two options, these are the only two options that I am open to let happen. They are as follows:
    1. Reset the map and economy and have a fresh start on a 1.7.2 map.
    2. Keep the current 1.6.4 map and economy, but no 1.7.2 (This will mean new biomes and such and other new naturally spawning items will not be available).
    I am going to leave this to a vote, as after all you are the ones that will be playing on it.
    So quite simply vote on the option you favour. Please note though that if Option 2 is voted for then in the new year there will most likely be a map reset as we have not reset this map in a while and we always used to reset it every 3-4 months or so.

I will give the vote a day or so until I act on the highest voted for option.

As always comment below if you have any questions.

Thanks,
  2. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Server Staff Server Staff

Octopia has always reset every 3-4 months? This is new to me sir, and slightly worrisome.

Assuming the new Bukkit has been tested with the server mods (?) then the map reset shouldn't be delayed-- even announcing it may happen kills playing interest deader than Nelson Mandela. It was the first thing said to me when I logged on today: "You see the map will reset? Why are you playing?" etc. Let's get this done soon.
  3. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

There is always the option of updating the 1.6.4 world, so you can craft 1.7.2 items and then expanding the world border so that 1.7.2 biomes generate around the edges.
  4. Eliot

With a 1.7.2 update the world would be updated, but I don't want to expand it because it is too big as it is, and will cause lag.
  5. Myrmidous

Also if you were concerned about imported towns causing "funky borders" around the edges then expanding the current world would be nuts. You'd have an entire ring around the existing world that would suddenly change height, biome...

...wait...

That would be an awesome thing. A literal "edge of the world" building site. That could be rather epic.

Sidenote: New world -> "Amplified" world type? Let's get this reset already.
  6. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

Also we can always use world edit smooth tool to fix wierd borders to an extent. Why do we have so many player slots if we are running low on RAM?
  7. Skylord_Helios

Skylord_Helios Active Member

I think we might as well reset, a fresh start again and a chance to make amends :p
  8. brosif11

brosif11 Member

derp

:p
  9. Gemini908

Gemini908 Member

Reset every 3-4 months?! If this is true, I will most definitely quit this server. I tried giving this server a second chance, but if it resets this often I don't see the point. I'm sure I am not the only one.
  10. Myrmidous

You're not the only one, sir. I do not recall ever hearing anything about a quarterly reset schedule or we would not have taken 2 months just to start building things. We really prepared the heck out of the build site, that level of effort is pointless if it gets wiped immediately afterwards.
  11. Eliot

Looking back I didn't phrase that right. I meant we always used to end up resetting every 3-4 months, normally because of updates, and such, but this was back when we had players who did request resets. Now it seems the opposite. I doubt resets will be that often, only when absolutely necessary.
  12. Gemini908

Gemini908 Member

When do you think you'll reset the current map? For the 1.7.2 map.
  13. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

It was because of unlegit items when we didn't have anticreativedrops. As the issue has now been resolved there is no reason to reset that often.
  14. Myrmidous

Excellent, slightly concerned there. Are we good to go now?
  15. Eliot

The map will be reset in the next few days, I have had to delay the copying of your town a little Myrmidous, so you can continue to work on your town if you wish. I will send you a message in game mail when I have copied it.
  16. Myrmidous

Oh BAH, wasted most of yesterday doing nothing then. Thank you sir, will go back to building with Myrmwife.
  17. KikiPockyChan

KikiPockyChan Member

Well that was alot of time wasted.
  18. brosif11

brosif11 Member

soooo. . . towns ARE being copied and pasted?
  19. KikiPockyChan

KikiPockyChan Member

Probably not
  20. KikiPockyChan

KikiPockyChan Member

I think its only Myrms
    :mad: