Welcome to Octopia!

Sign up to stay up to date with the latest news, and to chat with other members on the forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8 Update and Map Reset

Discussion in 'News' started by Myrmidous, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Server Staff Server Staff

Ladies, Gentlemen, Slugdug: We are proud to announce Octopia is transitioning to a full 1.8 map. Over the last year we've had more than seven thousand unique players log on and more than a hundred regulars. More than five millions blocks have been placed, dug up or smelted; all of this comes together into one seriously chewed up map. Time for a restart.

Some new map benefits:
    • Over 22,000 meters wide -- that's a lot of build room
    • All new terrain types: Mega Taiga, Bryce Mesa, more
    • New block types, from andesite to gravel.
    • Ungriefed structures, including Ocean Monuments
    • Complete inventory restart: No "OP" equipment

Notes:
    • Current donators will keep their perks, with some minor changes due to plugin compatibility issues.
    • The Gentlemen's Club will be copied over, so explorers may unexpectedly come across a very nice surprise.
    • The economy is also being reset, so you will start with $0.
    • There will be a world download of the current world in about a week or two. Please don't break/burn/explode the current map. Make sure you note down the coordinates of any places you would want to revisit.

The new map is expected to go live 8pm GMT / 2pm Central Time for all players to log in.

For any questions or concerns please see a Staff member online. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  2. Quicunque

Quicunque Member

I presume that bank /bals will also be reset. Is this also true?
  3. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

Yes this is true
  4. Quicunque

Quicunque Member

Weep! Weep for the beauty of Arboria, of Celeborn, of Octopia. Weep, and rejoice. After the twilight of this world comes the bright & blinding rays of a new dawn shining on a virgin world. Weep and rejoice! After death, resurrection! After mourning, dancing! After darkness, light! After the pain & anguish of labor, new birth! Weep! Weep & rejoice!
    Eliot likes this.
  5. Alexi Jackal

Alexi Jackal New Member

*sets explosion perms on*
    ceiri_ and aleichert like this.
  6. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

Are we going to be having a new spawn as well?
    The old spawn went through a few development changes as I hopped on every once and awhile so I am just curious
  7. Myrmidous

I sort of like the spawn. What would you change, Cold?
  8. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

Nothing personally against it, I was just wondering if they would create a new spawn for the new world (which is what usually is the case).
  9. Myrmidous

Have you thought about making a build you would like for spawn, then letting Eliot know? If your build was good enough, he would probably swap it in for spawn and you could get some major credit. It would have to be a heck of a build though, our current one has hidden features to find and a full economy shop!
  10. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

I think the spawn is great as it is, also I probably couldn't create a worthy spawn to replace it.
    With (both) of my computers states I cant accurately judge if this is a pc side problem but the spawn seems to be a little bit lag sensitive, but Im positive its nothing to do with the way its built/etc.
  11. Myrmidous

You'd be the first person to complain about spawn lag, sir. Sorry about that...

I've seen some of your builds. If you put some time into making an awesome spawn replacement I think you may have a shot at getting it done. Even if your build doesn't get taken for the new server spawn you will still have an awesome base to start a town on. ;)
    ceiri_ likes this.