Welcome to Octopia!

Sign up to stay up to date with the latest news, and to chat with other members on the forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Changing Update

Discussion in 'News' started by Eliot, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

As you will most likely know, you are now able to change your Minecraft username to a new one, with a limit of one every 30 days.

Octopia is fully prepared for this and you shouldn't notice any difference. We have however brought in a new rule which applies to usernames. Accounts with usernames which are of an obscene or rude nature, will be permanently banned. You will then have to change your name to something appropriate, once you have done this make a ban appeal and you will be unbanned.

When considering changing your username, make sure to consider the following:
    1. Do I actually need to change my username?
    2. Will people know it is me when I change it?
    3. Could my new username offend someone, or does it break any rules?

Please note, unless you have donated, you are not permitted a nickname on Octopia. Staff will not give you a nickname.

EDIT:
    The only plugin that is effected by name changing is Towny. That has not yet been updated to work fully with UUIDs. All other plugins will track you via your UUID!
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. Xander

Xander Member

I've noticed a problem, if you change your user, it kicks you from the town but your original user is still in, you have to rejoin..
  3. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Server Staff Server Staff

Which your Mayor can handle, so talk with them ahead of time. If you are the Mayor then we will fix your position and you can correct yourself.
  4. Xander

Xander Member

Alrighty, didn't know if would be the same for bans? Due to it being a different user?
  5. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

The only plugin that is effected by name changing is Towny. That has not yet been updated to work fully with UUIDs. All other plugins will track you via your UUID!
    Xander likes this.
  6. Granducks

Granducks Member

There is also another problem with private chests if you change it your private chest will block you out it happend with my friend
  7. Gore-Juss

Gore-Juss Server Staff Server Staff

So, basically, prepare your stuff on Octopia before changing your name.
  8. SneakyBearJew

SneakyBearJew New Member

I was banned for my name which i have now changed, the lady was of no help and did not know how i could change my name and banned me without a hint of information telling me how to change my name. i had to find out how to change my name by myself and am still banned. i would like to my ban to be lifted now
  9. Quicunque

Quicunque Member

SneakyBear said: "[T]he lady . . . banned me without a hint of information telling me how to change my name."
    I was there. Both I and another player gave you information, even more than hints, on how to change your name. Please do not exaggerate about the behavior of others. Put the best construction on your fellows; explain everything in the kindest way.
  10. SneakyBearJew

SneakyBearJew New Member

As soon as I found out how to change my name I did. I told her that via private message and I told her I was in the process of changing my name yet she banned me anyway. She did not give me any information on how to change my name by herself. Once you and the other players told me how to change my name I started the process of changing my name.
  11. SneakyBearJew

SneakyBearJew New Member

I was there. Both I and another player gave you information, even more than hints, on how to change your name. Please do not exaggerate about the behavior of others. Put the best construction on your fellows; explain everything in the kindest way.

Quicunque, yes i know you were there as well the information you and the other player gave me was not correct unfortunately. You told me how to change my profile name which is not my account name so it does not change my name in game. I tried to explain this to her and she told me "im sorry but i am banning you anyway" or something very close to that after i explained to her that changing my profile name in the launcher does not change your in game name as i had already tried. so there was no real help from any players on how to change m name online. i had to google how to change my name and found i had to change my name through mojang. that is the only way i was able to change my name. no player told me that. she banned me after i told her " i am trying to change my name, when i found out how to change my name i will" i was in the process of finding out how to change my name and i let her know that yet she banned me anyway. very unfair if you ask me as i was doing everything in my power to change my name. so i do not think i was exaggerating very much.
  12. brosif11

brosif11 Member

I think the freedom to choose your own name (As long it does not target other players names) is a right everyone should have.
    SneakyBearJew likes this.
  13. SneakyBearJew

SneakyBearJew New Member

So can I be unbanned now?
  14. Myrmidous

Denied.

I've already banned several variations of "Hitler" and "Fag" -- your name will be family friendly or you won't play here. Two notes:
    1. All servers and businesses reserve the right to refuse service to customers not complying with standards. Remember those "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" signs? It's perfectly legal.
    2. The First Amendment does not cover lewd or profane speech. Your clever "HimmlerLovesJews" name isn't your Constitutional right. Likewise "TakesItInDaRear" earns you a kick off the server and there's no legal argument in your favor. Cussing and swearing isn't covered either, most especially in places where minors are present.

You can change your name to anything you want. But don't think we're forced to accept your "personal artistic expression".
  15. Myrmidous

Have you changed your name yet?
  16. SneakyBearJew

SneakyBearJew New Member

Yes I changed my name I changed it 10 minutes after you banned me....
  17. Myrmidous

What is it now?