Welcome to Octopia!

Sign up to stay up to date with the latest news, and to chat with other members on the forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reset the Net

Discussion in 'News' started by Eliot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

On June the 5th, the Reset the Net movement is working to help make the internet more secure for everyone.
    People are sick and tired of the NSA and other government organisation's mass surveillance techniques. We can make it easier for user's privacy to be kept secure. The Reset for Net movement is promoting proper security for users and websites alike. I have signed a pledge to protect octopia.net with SSL technologies in order to maintain your privacy while using the website. This new protection will be set up as soon as possible.

I urge you all to watch the video and read into the movement

Many Thanks,
  2. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Server Staff Server Staff

http://ipv6.com/articles/security/IPsec.htm

By default the next generation of internet addressing (IPv6) has built in encryption, authentication and integrity.

The problem here is if everyone goes to SSL/IPSec then our government will simply demand every business and domain register their private keys with Federal authorities. Probably for "counter terrorist operations".

Honestly the NSA was spying on World of Warcraft players. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/nsa-world-of-warcraft_n_4413914.html). It won't take long before they'll just flat out demand your encryption keys before you're legal to do business. And ".com" stands for "commercial" after all.
  3. hadyncole

hadyncole Member

OMG u are a Massive noob so what if the NSA are watching us you shouldn't have anything to hide and if you do then your doing something you shouldn't. seriously are u a terrorist or something "People (referring to you as well seen as you are posting this) are sick and tired of the NSA mass surveillance techniques." im sorry but what is the fucking harm of them watching us when they have saved thousands upon thousands of lives doing this. So if you are annoyed with them watching you then ... YOU ARE A FUCKING TERRORIST
  4. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

I think that while haydn's comment is rather uncouth it does have some valid point hidden deep within (except for the terrorist stuff that's just idiotic). Personally I don't really see the problem with mass surveillance, it's hardly the same as mass censorship and will have very little impact on the lives of most people. Obviously the worry is that people in power will abuse it, but honestly if those in power wished to abuse there power in a manner that effected you negatively then this Reset the Net movement is hardly going to stop them. You are just one of a mass of people they known a very small amount about. Additionally I hardly imagine there is much information on the Octopia forum worth hiding from any government, unless someone is planning some sort of massive creeper bomb and communicating about it via this website. If you really want to remain anonymous there are far more secure ways than only visiting sites with SSL (I recommend TOR) and if you are talking about server anonymity, again I hardly imagine there is much confidential data on Octopia.
  5. Myrmidous

This confuses me, because Hadyncole seems like the kind of kiddo that screams at his parents to leave him alone...

Aurelius:
    It's not the fact someone may be looking at our data and information. Rather it's the idea that at any given time a government can just wander through our personal information for no reason. Even if they promise not to misuse the data it still feels weird.

For example: If a police officer walked up to me and demanded to look through my wallet I would want a damn good reason. However when someone online goes through my credit report, SSN, medical history and bank accounts I'm supposed to feel OK with that...? There's some weird sort of disconnect going on here.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. hadyncole

hadyncole Member

yes i do myrm got a problem with it bitch thought not now go back to being a pedophilic adult who plays mc with "kiddo's"
  7. Myrmidous

So your parents are terrorists, good to know. Did you forget your medication this morning?
  8. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

Yeah he is rather. Also about it saving thousand of lives - “the government does not cite a single instance in which analysis of the NSA’s bulk metadata collection actually stopped an imminent attack, or otherwise aided the government in achieving any objective that was time-sensitive in nature [over the last 7 years/since the program begun]." - U.S. District Judge Richard Leon, in a ruling two months ago against the NSA,
  9. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

Remind me why eliot keeps letting you back on
  10. hadyncole

hadyncole Member

no im not a fucking terrorist i was replying to your shitty comment "one of those Kiddos which screams at their parents to leave them alone" fucking noob and what u saying im a terrorist maby i will be dunno but at least i dont come from a country where everyone is 50 stone + and cant speak English u god dam fucking redneck trash.
  11. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

Myrmidous: I think therein lies our difference. I wouldn't really feel affronted or in any manner uneasy with that situation, I might feel slightly annoyed at the waste of my time, but the act of someone looking at my data in and of itself doesn't really concern me. Obviously as I said if I felt that it would be abused I would feel differently, but for the reasons I cited above I don't really feel mass collection of meta-data will in anyway allow for any greater scope of abuse towards me. In any case most of the meta-data they collect is fairly impersonal and is dispensed of fairly quickly, it is unlikely in a sea of names they examine you in any great detail and as I said it doesn't overly concern me if they do.
  12. P3NGUIINS

P3NGUIINS Member

Wtf hadyn -_-
    Btw Alexlozano9009 is flying in pvp, I recommend combatlog it removes fly when in pvp, Because everytime we pvp him he flys off.
  13. hadyncole

hadyncole Member

he ceeps letting me on because he loves mee
  14. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

Does this have anything whatsoever to do with this thread? :p
  15. P3NGUIINS

P3NGUIINS Member

No but I thought I'd mention a suggestion so donors can't just abuse >.<
  16. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

Good heavens what on earth is going on here?

Haydn I am most certainly not a terrorist, I can assure you that, the only crime I am guilty of is perhaps drinking too much tea and loving the royals too much.

The issue I have isn't with mass surveillance as a whole, but that the NSA and other government agencies had been conducting this for so long without the general population being aware. As Myrmidous said, if a Police Officer was to come up to me and demand to search my person then, if they had a valid reason for doing so, I would be perhaps more inclined to allow it to commence and if they did not however, it would be within my rights to decline the search, of which they would need to take the matter further and gain the correct authorisation to search me.

The issue I have is the government agencies have effectively been 'letting themselves into' our connections and having a 'rummage' around without any permission from the person having their data searched. This should not be allowed. There should be protocols similar to that of physical searches in place to stop agencies from doing this, and only doing so if their is an actual need or threat to national security.

Of course I have nothing to hide so any government agencies would not find anything of interest on Octopia or my computer. The purpose of the Octopia website adding an SSL certificate is not mainly to prevent government agencies looking at the data we hold, although the privacy aspect is an upside, but to protect the route of user's data between the website and their computer. It also adds a certain level of validity and accountability to the website, so user know it is trustworthy and that we are real and verified individuals.

Haydn I would also like to remind you that the forum is no place for your obscenities and that if I see another outburst again you will be banned from all Octopia services.
    Myrmidous and KikiPockyChan like this.
  17. Myrmidous

That was 6 capitalization errors, 3 spelling mistakes, 9 punctuation fails and 4 grammar issues in a single run-on sentence; something tells me you cannot speak English sir.

I remember Penguins telling me you had a lot of issues, but honestly when you act like this no-one is inclined to give you sympathy. Straighten yourself out, kiddo.
  18. Myrmidous

I can see your point, but I don't buy the whole "they're watching so many people they'll never pay attention to me" argument. It isn't like standing on a street corner and looking at a crowd: In that case if you don't notice someone right away then you'll never get another chance. This is the wholesale collection and long term storage of everything Americans are doing online, searchable and recoverable for up to ten years (and growing).

What government needs to do that "just in case"? Your quote from Judge Leon is spot on when he says no intelligence agency has managed to preempt an attack this way. Unfortunately that isn't because of a lack of collection, this is because of a lack of ability. There's so much being gathered and saved that no tool is capable of searching it in a meaningful way right now. I can tell you with a hundred percent certainty that the 3-letter agencies are frantically writing software to go through this volume of data...

..which they will get around to just as soon as the U.S. Cyber Command stops redecorating their office to look like the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/nsa-chief-keith-alexander-and-star-trek-2013-9

That made me laugh and /facepalm so hard when I read it. ^_^
  19. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

Simply put, I take the middle ground on this topic. I'm not overly concerned with them looking at me, which is why I don't particularly care that they can look at me at any time. I also don't believe, as I previously stated that it is an effective mechanic to use against terrorism or that it will be. All in all I would say I'm against it, more because it seems a hugely unnecessary cost than out of concern for my own privacy. My initial point was to try and state that while it may be a minor inconvenience and a waste of resources, that is the reason why we might want to stop the programs. Therefore I don't really see the purpose in this ResetTheNet thing as it has no bearing on whether the programs are conducted, it only effects whether personal data is collected. As I already stated it also seems a rather unnecessary thing on most website, like this one. I'll hardly be upset if GCHQ realise I play minecraft :p (Also lol at that article, I thought you were joking)
  20. Myrmidous

Eight million dollars to make the head guy's office look like the USS Enterprise. Best part of the article: "The doors make a realistic 'whoosh!' sound when they slide open."

/facepalm

Government at work, yo.