Welcome to Octopia!

Sign up to stay up to date with the latest news, and to chat with other members on the forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rewards and Goals : Rank System

Discussion in 'News' started by Myrmidous, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Server Staff Server Staff

-=[ Octopia Ranks and Goals ]=-
    This was a lot of effort behind the scenes, but here we go.

[ Overview ]
    Previously Octopia has run on a donation only system, with donators getting special commands and perks. Everyone could play for free and do whatever they liked, but the additional features were reserved. This was fine for a good while until Mojang released the updated EULA which said, among other things, that servers can't sell access to some players and withhold it from others.​

This was a bit of a problem, because Octopia relies solely on donators to cover costs. To combat this issue -and to roll out a bunch of new challenges for everyone- we've created Ranks and Goals.​

• What Are Ranks?
    • What Are Goals?
    • Commands and Checks
    • Rewards & Perks
    • Donations
    • Glitches
    • Notes
    • Warnings

[ What are Ranks: ]
    Everyone that spends time on the server has a default rank, players just didn't notice until now. We're taking that default and creating a whole tree of possibilities out of it, adding Goals, perks and rewards along the way. No-one has to participate if they don't want to, but we're not denying anyone the chance.

The first four ranks are easy and automatic. They are Newbie, Beginner, Novice and Veteran. Players will accomplish these simply by normal gaming and the Goals to complete each rank are very low (see: Goals). After reaching Veteran rank players can remain there forever if they wish, or choose to specialize in one of three paths: Explorer, Builder, Fighter. Each path has a focus on a different aspect of Minecraft and gives related perks and abilities.

Our current rank progression tree begins something like this:
    Rank Chart.jpg

[ What Are Goals? ]
    Goals are checklist items that must be accomplished to "complete" the rank you are currently on. The Paths have different Goals they focus on; for example the Explorer path has Goals related to walking, running, etc. Builders place and mine lots of blocks. Fighters deal in face-smashing. As a player gets farther along the Rank Path, the Goals get tougher until only the most dedicated player can achieve the final Rank.

After reaching Veteran rank, a player can choose one of the Rank Paths by using /ar complete on the correct Goal:
    - Completing the travel Goal will start them on the Explorer path.
    - Likewise completing the Block Placing requirement will make them into a Builder.
    - Finally if the player completes Mobs Killed they will begin the Fighter path.

Example:
    Veteran.JPG
    By using /ar complete 3, Firesong would become an Explorer if they have walked at least 8900 meters on foot. Option 4 would make them into a Builder and option 5 would take on the Fighter path. None of these goals are auto-completed and no player is forced to choose; you can stay a Veteran ranked player forever if you like.​

[ Commands and Checks ]
    There are two commands from the "AutoRank" plugin and one from "Stats":​
    • /ar check
    • /ar complete #
    • /stats
    The /ar check command gives you a numbered list of the current Goals you'll need to complete to finish your Rank and move up. If you've already completed a certain Goal, it will have (complete) next to it. You can also use /ar check [player] if you'd like to see how someone else is doing.

The other command, /ar complete #, will either complete a specific Goal on your list or tell you how close you are to finishing it. Completed Goals won't go away, so after finishing the task don't worry about losing it again.

To check some basic statistics about yourself, use /stats. This command gives you time played on the server and some general interesting information.

Finally just for fun we also have a leaderboard to show off the top players. You can check it with the /ar leaderboard command.​

[ Rewards & Perks ]
    We'll say it now: Every single perk, command and ability in the game is available to earn. We only withhold admin related commands (for obvious reasons). If you see someone flying around, or placing blocks in Creative-- you can get that too. They earned it by playtime and Goals, they're showing off their rank and you can do the same.​

[ Donations ]
    Yes, we need them. Badly. Your donations keep the server online for everyone to play. In return, donators receive the in-game perks immediately without having to complete Goals, along with a chat title and colored name to mark you as someone special. Donators can have multiple perks from all three Paths at once as a special thank-you for helping to keep us here. Please visit http://donate.octopia.net for a cheap, easy way to help us out. Thank you.​

[ Glitches ]
    We are still ironing out the bugs in the system. If you should find yourself with a goal you can't complete or a funky Rank please let a Staff member know. Likewise please report any errors or problems, especially if they give unfair items or can be abused. Thank you.​

[ Notes ]
    If you become a Staff member, your Rank progress will be put on hold. You will not lose any progress or Goals, but staff members don't need to gain playtime or accumulate credit. If you decide to become a regular player again you'll regain all of your accomplishments and pick right back up where you left off.​

[ Warnings ]
    From this point forward, AFK devices are banned. An AFK device is any in-game device or external program that allows you to remain on the server without being kicked for being away from your keyboard. If you are caught using an AFK method your playtime and Goals will be reset, immediately. This includes alternate accounts as well-- we are resetting the player, not the account.

Likewise looking for loopholes to "game" the Goals is going to be frowned upon heavily and handled on a case by case basis. At the least the offending player will probably have their Goal reset, for truly stunning exploits we may demote them down a Rank completely.

Final Thoughts:
    We've put an unbelievable amount of time and effort into this, so comments and helpful suggestions are welcome. At times I literally worked permission files while taking breaks to go vomit from extreme illness. At the very least we hope to have given players something to accomplish; at the most we're looking to gain as many new players as we can. If you have a few seconds to spare, please drop by these sites and vote for Octopia:
    http://goo.gl/NH9vFP (Planet Minecraft)
    http://goo.gl/njgfFR (Minecraft Server List)

You may think a single vote won't matter, but you'd be surprised how few server ever get any votes at all. Even a handful a day keeps us visible on the lists. Thank you in advance.

(I take all responsibility for any massive screwups, omissions, errors and/or rabid weasels. I'm so sorry.)
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    lucasvh12, ceiri_ and Stakkerst like this.
  2. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

No @Myrmidous put an unbelievable amount of time and effort into this. I'm just copying and pasting his files!
    Stakkerst likes this.
  3. Stakkerst

Stakkerst Active Member

I like the idea, but donaters must get something special to make it still attractive to pay for the server ;)
    I can be wrong, but thats the first thing that pops into my mind. If I find something i will let you know!
    ceiri_ likes this.
  4. Gore-Juss

Gore-Juss Server Staff Server Staff

I agree with Stakkerst. Who wants to pay for something they can get for free? (Mind you it may take a while to earn it). But, then I also see that Mojang's new rules put a stop to that.

Well, anyways, I will destroy the AFK fountain Muffins built as soon as the server is back up and I'm home from work.

Oh, I also have a question; Will previous playtime/blocks destroyed etc. count towards goals? Or will it be form this point forward?
  5. aleichert

aleichert Active Member

No, common misconception here, Mojang did not ban donations.
    It's like what this beverage stand once did at a concert: They weren't allowed to sell water, so what they did is sell a peanut for $1 and give a free bottle with it - if you understand what I mean.
    Making something commercial in-game is against the EULA though, yet, they cannot do much more than disallow this if they ever find out (which i doubt).
    ceiri_ likes this.
  6. Eliot

From this point forward.
    ceiri_ likes this.
  7. ceiri_

ceiri_ New Member

So what exactly will happen to donators?
  8. Eliot

Donation ranks will remain the same. Nothing is being removed from them currently. Over the next few weeks there are a few cosmetic additions I may be adding however.
    ceiri_ likes this.
  9. ceiri_

ceiri_ New Member

10. Gore-Juss

So you can earn everything that you can buy?
  11. Myrmidous

Some Q & A, I'll probably add to this as it comes up:

Q: Can you earn every perk and commands you can get from donations?
    A: Yes, the Mojang EULA forbids servers to sell exclusive access to some players and not let others get it as well.

Q: What do donators get?
    A: There are three "paths" for the Ranks: Explorers, Builders and Fighters. Perks and commands are related to what path a player is on. For example, movement commands like /jump, /top, etc go to Explorers only. However the fighting commands like /near and /ext go to Fighters.

Donators get a selection from all of the paths -- they can have both /jump and /near, for example. Additionally they shortcut to the end of the ranks and do not have to work their way up through raw effort.

Q: Why donate then?
    A: First off, to help the server. We need it, badly, and your donations are sincerely appreciated. Secondly in return for donating you get to skip to the end of the ranks and get commands from all three paths. Third, donators receive a chat name tag to show they are unique, which is something the Mojang EULA encourages!

Q: Can Donators get goals to complete also? Like can Iron "rank up" into Gold?
    A: Yes, and no. We can't create a "donator only" rank tree (Coal -> Iron -> Gold -> Diamond) and put rewards on it. Because then we've violated the EULA again by creating something only donators can get! However we can give cosmetic only rewards; for example broadcasts, capes, hats and cute renamed items. We'll have to talk that over with Eliot and think about it.

If there are more questions, I'll address them as they come up...
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Gore-Juss likes this.
  12. Gore-Juss

Can donators also get earned ranks? Like I will continue to donate monthly, because I love Octopia, but if I wanted to set a goal to earn a rank, could I? Just so I could get the extra tag? Or would the donation rank cancel it out?
    Stakkerst likes this.
  13. Myrmidous

Q & A updated for this. tl;dr -- We'll talk it over with Eliot, but we can't do something like let Gold members rank up into Diamond. That creates a reward that only donators can get, which violates the EULA.
  14. Stakkerst

Stakkerst Active Member

But since all the players can get free access to the commands, you can combine commands and let people pay for that, because combining some commands into a package (Iron, Gold, Diamond) isn't withholding commands from people and forcing them to pay for it. Its a players free choice to get a certain command package as an extra and pay for it. (Or am I totally wrong here?)
  15. brosif11

brosif11 Member

In my "Hail, Fellow Octopians" I list some ranks and perks (As I have already said many times) and I encourage that some of them be implemented, because to my understanding, The Newbie, Beginner, Novice, and Veteran are ranks that have no special perks, and are just glam tags for the player.

~Just Sayin'
  16. Myrmidous

Gives them a feeling of accomplishment, recognition and a goal to finish. Keeping new players for those first few hours is critical; usually by that time they have a little invested in the server and are more likely to stay. In the future we can always slowly give the rank 1 - 4 people more permissions if we like.

Stakkers I didn't understand your question sir.
    Gore-Juss likes this.
  17. dig4carrots

dig4carrots Member

What about if they play for ages, maybe like 6 months or something, they get honary coal rank, which could then rank up to aybe Iron. I would say coal to diamond, cause thats a pretty big difference in money to pay.
  18. Myrmidous

Explain a bit more?
  19. Derp

Derp Member

I'd really like to see a full command page for each path. I have no idea as to what half of the commands I have are.
  20. Myrmidous

The difficulty here is we are trying to create a "mentor" kind of atmosphere. The first members to get the higher rank levels will spend some time learning what they get and how it works. Then they should pass that on to the lower ranks in their path. This creates a sort of community between people that like the same types of things.

If we post a "scorecard" of everything you get then we remove the experience of finding out the new stuff yourself. You would just look ahead and say, "Oh, I get /fly at... this rank. Blah, blah, blah."

Tough call. I think we're at the beginning right now and people are frustrated because they haven't figured it out... yet. As soon as the benefits become common knowledge you'll feel extremely satisfied to know and explain it to someone working their way up to where you're at.
    Quicunque likes this.