Welcome to Octopia!

Sign up to stay up to date with the latest news, and to chat with other members on the forums!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updates and Donations

Discussion in 'News' started by Eliot, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Eliot

Eliot Senior Owner Senior Owner

Hi everyone,

As you know the server is still on the 1.6.4 update, the server will continue to stay on this version until a development build of bukkit 1.7.2 has been released. As soon as this comes out I will begin to update. There is an issue though, our current world is 1.6.4. Which means that there will be no new features from 1.7.2 unless we expand the world. I don't think that expanding the world would be a viable option as it would make the server very laggy. A map reset would currently be the only way that the world would become 1.7.2, but I don't think that is the best option for the server as of now. What will most likely happen is that I will keep the current 1.6.4 world and open up a separate 1.7.2, which I will allow you to access and collect new materials from the new world. Towny will be disabled in this world, but as an added risk to collecting the new materials I may put the world in hard mode. The world will be reset every few days or so to prevent people from building bases.

I think that this is a good option as players will be able to gather new 1.7.2 items as well as maintaining peoples buildings and work.

On another note, the new donation system has been up and is now fully functioning, so I now encourage users to donate if they can, this will help keep the server up as we are currently on quite low funds and require about £40 (GBP) to stay up and running. You can view this months donation funds by visiting the donation website (http://donate.octopia.net) and looking at the target bar on the top right hand side.

Thank you for reading, if you have any suggestions or comments please reply to the thread below.

Many Thanks
  2. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Server Staff Server Staff

Several things, sir.
    • The server is NOT in "Hard"? This explains a lot of the mob mechanics that were driving me crazy on builds. Additionally under the config file for "spawn-limits" do you perhaps have "monsters" set to something at (or lower than) than 100? That would explain a lot as well.
    • What is the priority here: Maintaining Towny/houses/builds or updating new versions? With the Towny server on an alternate port and a plain vanilla server on the main address I'm feeling a bit like Towny is the red-headed stepchild instead of the main promotion effort.
    • Map reset: Why not generate a new map and give Mayors the option to have their Towns copied in with WorldEdit?
    • Map reset, redux: Delete unused chunks (of which there are many) with WorldEdit and reset them with 1.7.2 -- towns/area around them remain the same, new stuff everywhere else?
    • I did not understand at all about starting a separate 1.7.2 server, letting people collect items and then wiping every few days. May be misunderstanding the intent here.
    Monthly donation is ongoing. Whatever happens please communicate well in advance so we know what will go on. Specifically if there is any chance at all Bastion won't be making it to the new server please say so; we just got to the point where building can begin and I don't want to throw tons of effort straight into a wipe. Thank you.
  3. Puffin

Puffin Touchy-Feely Magic Man

if this is done, arent the new biomes look a bit odd and out of place? if not then i vote yes on this :D
  4. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

So there's no actual way to make 1.7.2 a separate towny server?
  5. Myrmidous

Vast areas of the map have nothing on them, so while right around the edges of Towns would look a bit odd out in the rest of the map everything would blend. That is if if would be possible to re-create that much, it might be easier just to copy Towns into a new world.
  6. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

It is true that the 1.6 worlds had a lot of ocean (hence the /randomtp's being almost useless) so I guess we could transform a lot of that?
  7. Eliot

Well the only options we currently have are the following:
    • Keep the current map and change to 1.7.2 (No new natural items such as plants will be in the world, no new biome changes or map changes)
    • Complete map-reset - Start from scratch, new 1.7.2 world
    • Keep current map, but have a second 1.7.2 world accessible to gather materials.
    Please let me know what you think everyone. It seems that the idea of resetting the world works the best, but I am not prepared to let peoples work get removed.
    It would be difficult to copy towns into a new world, as we have quite a few, many of which are very large. The terrain copied would not match the terrain it is pasted into and would look very ugly and out of place in my opinion.
    Please be aware I will not be making any major decisions about the map without consulting players first.
  8. Myrmidous

Terrain not matching: Actually, Bastion has a perimeter around the entire town from ground level to bedrock. It's a perfect "dividing line" from old->new chunks so the terrain wouldn't look that odd. I can't speak for other towns however, they would have to come up with their own methods of blending (but it shouldn't be hard).

Let me emphasize we (wife and I) don't mind any of these options. But if there is going to be a map reset tell us now so we can cease all building and not waste any more time playing. By even throwing that out as an option we are completely paralyzed until we know if Bastion will make it to the next map or not.
  9. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

So why would it not be possible for towny? :(
  10. Eliot

11. aureliusnoble

aureliusnoble Member

If we do have a new 1.7.2 world can we generate using extreme biomes? :)
    Puffin likes this.
  12. Skylord_Helios

Skylord_Helios Active Member

Like the really tall and awesome one?
  13. Myrmidous

Talking about the "Amplified" biome? It looks nifty but consider the logistics of gathering resources with all of that crazy landscape.
  14. Eliot

Well from what I have heard the 1.7.2 Bukkit update is in no way ready for release yet. But there has been an API change which means that even if Bukkit 1.7.2 comes out tomorrow (which it wont't) it may be longer until all of our plugins are updated. Since they will all need to be edited for the new API.

In terms of the map, in my opinion the map reset would be the best option since it will allow a fresh start on a new world with all the 1.7.2 items. But it isn't me who has buildings, towns and other works on the server which I have spent time on, that's why it will most likely be a vote to determine the outcome of the map, and not my personal decision.

On another note I will most likely move towny back over onto the default port tomorrow so it will be play.octopia.net and not play.octopia.net:25566, but I will make a post if this happens.

Thanks,

Any comments or suggestions at this time would be greatly appreciated.
  15. Myrmidous

Excellent, I've been wondering for a while why Towny switched over to a random un-advertised port. Head-scratching to say the least.

As for the map reset we (wife and I) fine with it. Aurelius has offered to port over existing towns, we would just need to reclaim the plots and reset permissions. That would be excellent all around. In the meantime construction is moving right along, although we need to take a short break to plan out some timing involving redstone on SMP.
  16. ColdMinerX

ColdMinerX Active Member

I really don't care if there is a world reset or if we have a separate world or whatever but ^^^^
  17. Eliot

Ok, there is a 1.7.2 bukkit update out, so the time has come to decide on what we should do with the map. Should we reset and have a 1.7.2 map, or leave it and keep the 1.6.4 map?
  18. P3NGUIINS

P3NGUIINS Member

Same Map. Lots of people have put hard work in to gaining materials and building there towns it would be a shame to lose it.
  19. Eliot

Yes, the map has been up a while though. People have large base and very high powered weapons and armour, it makes sense to reset the map around now, so we have a fresh start.
  20. Puffin

Puffin Touchy-Feely Magic Man

i can see a lot of people getting annoyed by a full reset, i thought we were going with new map but world edit the structures over